Wednesday, September 14, 2011

"Change is not a threat, but an adventure"

We're on the wondrous journey to the UNKNOWN! We don't know where it's going to take us but you better believe we're going to have faith & trust that it's where we need to be! We know that there will be open doors for us of countless opportunities to share His love...but where that leads? We have the slightest idea...but again I reemphasize us TRUSTING!
  Below is a recount of our day with Nehemiah yesterday...I'm going to start keeping track of our "adventures" and what we're learning from them in hopes that you may be encouraged. I hope that you understand I'm not afraid to share my heart and the things God speaks to us and shares with us. It's our goal to be transparent and continue to be an open book!

ADVENTURE #1

   Nehemiah started school and he loves it! He's excited about learning and even more he's eager to teach his sister what he learns. We have seen a dramatic change in our big boy since beginning school. We pray for him every day and every night for God to constantly increase his absorption of knowledge and for him to be a beacon of light in his classroom. We would ask that you join us in praying for our children. TJ and I love the area that God has placed us in but not everyone in our town is accepting of us being here. We can take the awkward stares and the condescending tone in conversation but I, as a mothering lioness, refuse to see my babies subjected to people's misunderstandings of who we are. Yesterday at the dinner table my heart just about broke! We were all engaged in our typical conversation with Nehemiah. "How was your day at school?" "What did you learn today?" "What things would you like to work on tonight?" While answering he pauses and emphatically says, "Mommy, I need to turn white." I immediately looked to TJ as to how to respond to this. We were both shocked because we really weren't prepared for this question just yet...not with our three year old! I turned to him and I grabbed his hand and asked him "Sweetie, why do you want to turn white?" And he looks me in my eyes and says "Mommy, I'm too brown." Ah! I smiled and I looked him in his eyes and said "Baby you are beautifully brown! Our skin tone makes us unique and there's nothing to be ashamed about. Mommy and Daddy love your skin color...but we LOVE YOU more, okay?" "Okay mommy!" he agrees, "well, can I turn orange? That's my favorite color!" I erupted in laughter!
   I love the innocence of little children. He's exploring and discovering so much about himself. And now TJ and I have to reinforce how God sees him and what we see in him to help him cultivate a positive perspective of his true identity! This is the first step to our new adventure in life...fully understanding our children's purpose and being able to effectively communitcate this truth to them!